Although Prosper has its own website and may seem like an insurance company, it is in fact a line of insurance products offered to customers by Budget Insurance. Budget Insurance (and therefore Prosper) is part of the large Telesure Group, which includes a selection of other insurance companies such as Unity Insurance, Auto and General, Dial Direct, and First for Women. Unfortunately, the Prosper website doesn’t offer much information about the history of the product line, though they do state that they focus on providing easy to understand insurance solutions.
Where is Prosper Located?
The head office of Prosper Insurance is located on the 17th Floor of 25 Owl Street, Milpark, Johannesburg 2092. In addition, there is a mailing address for the company at: P.O. Box 11250, Johannesburg 2000.
Which Services Do Prosper Insurance Provide?
As a short term insurer Prosper provide for a range of insurance policies. These include watercraft, portable possessions, buildings and home contents insurance, as well as vehicle insurance.
Vehicle Insurance with Prosper
Prosper Insurance offers four different car insurance policies, depending on what kind of coverage you’re looking for. These four policies are:
- Comprehensive Cover, which covers your vehicle against theft and accidents as well as covering you for any damage to other people or their vehicles that’s caused by an accident;
- 3rd Party, Fire and Theft, which covers you if your car is stolen or is damaged by lightening, fires or explosions. This policy does cover damage done to other people or their vehicles in an accident, but does not cover damage done to your car in an accident;
- 3rd Party Only, which covers only damage done to others or their vehicles in an accident, but does not cover any damage to your own vehicle or theft;
- Off-Road Comprehensive, which is identical to the Comprehensive Cover option but is designed for 4×4 vehicles that may be damaged whilst off roading.
Added Extras from Prosper
In addition to their four basic vehicle insurance policies, Prosper Insurance also offer some additional features to their customers. These include:
- Access to 24 hour helplines for legal assistance, trauma assistance, medical assistance, breakdown and accident assistance (not included with 3rd Party Only policies);
- The ability to add Prosper Rewards to your policy, paying you your first year of premiums or 25% of your total premiums back if you do not make a claim for four years, as well as waiving premiums for up to six months in the case of retrenchment, disablement, injury or death.
- The option to add another Prosper policy (funeral insurance, personal accident insurance, cellphone insurance or trauma and medical assistance in the case of HIV exposure) to your vehicle policy at lower cost;
- A “like-new” benefit that can be added for R250 per month and which will cover repairs to light scratches (no more than 15cm in length), small dents (no more than 15cm in diameter) and chips (no bigger than 3mm in diameter).
How Are Prosper’s Consumer Reviews?
Hellopeter, the website that allows consumers to rate service providers, does not provide any reviews of Prosper from the last twelve months. This is probably due to the fact that Prosper is technically a product of Budget Insurance, rather than a stand alone company. Budget Insurance do show 991 reviews on Hellopeter, of which 602 are positive, meaning almost two thirds of reviews compliment the company. A few reviews criticized unwanted spam messages, but many praised Budget’s good customer service. However, since we don’t know whether Prosper and Budget Insurance both use the same customer service network we’re not sure whether we can judge Prosper based on Budget’s reviews.
How User Friendly is the Prosper Insurance Website?
The Prosper website was easy to navigate and easy to read, which is always positive. Their policy overviews contain few technical car insurance terms and definitions, meaning that you don’t need to be an expert to read them! There are only two small things that we thought might improve the website. One is that Prosper don’t offer much information about themselves, and since customers tend to like to know who they’re buying from a little more detail would be nice. The second thing is that although drop down menus on every page made navigation easy, you can’t open menu options in a new tab (you must open them in your original window). That makes comparing pages a little more time consuming than it could be. Overall though, our impression of the Prosper website was quite a good one.
Prosper in Summary
Prosper is technically a range of products offered by Budget Insurance, and they offer four car insurance options. Though we couldn’t find customer reviews of Prosper themselves, reviews for Budget Insurance were relatively good. When shopping for car insurance comparison is key, therefore we do recommend getting quotes from three or four different companies before making that final decision. This means that you’ll not only get the policy that’s right for you, but you’ll save yourself Rands too!
Main subject: Prosper
Other Interesting Posts
Best Car Insurance Company 2016
For the last three years, Carinfo.co.za has conducted a comparison analysis between the more known ...read more
ABSA iDirect Vehicle Insurance
ABSA iDirect vehicle insurance is the car insurance department of ABSA, The Amalgamated Banks of ...read more