In the below short post, we are going to tell you the 6 things to check before choosing your vehicle insurance. This is not a long list, and it is not hard to do, but it can make a big difference when push comes to shove with you insurance company – so trust us, you will be happy that you checked these:
- Numero uno (in Spanish and sounds cool): What is covered by the car insurance policy? Yes, we know, this sounds obvious right? But a staggering 8 out of 10 people have said that they have no idea what there car insurance policy covers. Do you know? So ask the insurance company giving you the quote to give you a one, or two, page summary with all the most important details regarding your policy, and make sure that these details appear in the final policy/agreement that you sign.
- Check what the cost of your premiums are. The premiums are the monthly or yearly amount that you are paying for your insurance.
- Check how much the excess is (the escess is the amount that you will pay in the event of theft or an accident – yes, even if it wasn't your fault). These change based on your monthly premiums and can be negotiated.
- Check the reliability of the insurance company: are they financially stable? You can find this out through a bit of online research or by reading our reviews about each company under our main menu: "Insurance Companies".
- Customer service: This is one of the most important factors because no matter how cheap an insurance policy you find, if you are going to tear your hait out trying to get the money you are owed, it won't be worth it! Check if the insurance company’s representatives are polite on the phone? Do they have enough customer service staff so that you won’t have a long wait time before you can speak to somebody? Do they reply to emails? Do they have a decent website? Read customer reviews and online complaints/compliments on Hellopeter, for example, to get a general picture of this aspect.
- Extra benefits and special offers: these are less important than the categories mentioned above, but it is still something to bear in mind when comparing different policy options.
Final word of advice: Don't forget to negotiate and don't forget to compare prices with a few companies – you can do this easily by filling in the short form on the top left side of our home page and a qualified insurance agent will get back to you asap.
If you enjoyed reading our "6 things to check before choosing your vehicle insurance" but still need some help with the basic insurance terms, then take a look at our "car insurance terms and definitions" page.
Other Interesting Posts
Best Car Insurance Company for 2015
For the last two years Carinfo.co.za has been conducting a comparison analysis of all the ...read more
How Car Value Affects Insurance
Why do we need to talk about car value when we're thinking about insurance? Well, ...read more